The Youth In Action Program Assistants are responsible for implementing the Youth In Action program. The Program Assistants will help develop and implement recreation activities, promote proper nutrition and assist with educational goals, while ensuring the program meets desired outcomes.
- Plan and implement daily recreational activities that are engaging and promote physical activity for youth
- Assist youth with snack preparation; educate on proper nutrition in a fun and informative way
- Foster a good learning environment to encourage and enhance educational goals, assisting with homework and/or providing additional learning opportunities that complements participant curriculum
- Implement behaviour management techniques as needed
- Liaise with parents/guardians regarding progress, participation, etc.
- Implement program policies and procedures along with completing necessary documentation
Hours of Work:
Up to 10 hours per week. This is an after-school program, so candidates need to be available until approximately 8:15 pm, Monday – Thursdays, with some flexibility. The program follows the academic calendar, with breaks for the summer, Christmas, and March break, April 1 2017 to March 31, 2019.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Education or Human Services such as Recreation & Leisure Services, Child & Youth Worker, Early Childhood Education recommended
- Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Previous experience program planning & implementation of recreational activities for youth
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
The YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA is also committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Resumes will be received until 4pm, April 27, 2017
Directed to: Sabrynna Boychuk
Sault Ste. Marie YMCA
235 McNabb St., Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B1Y3